View the results of surgical
Treatments in our Before &
After picture gallery.
Breast reconstruction is basically a surgery which is done to rebuild the breast’s shape after a mastectomy. It cannot give a woman her breast back as reconstructed breast do not have natural sensations. This surgery provides results that look like a breast. Most of the women who have undergone the breast reconstruction are glad they did. During breast reconstruction, surgeons form the breast mound by using an implant or from tissues from the belly, buttock or back. Implants are silicone sacs which are filled with salt water or silicone gel. It depends on your body type, cancer treatment and age what type of reconstruction you will get.
Breast reconstruction takes more than one surgery. Extra steps may include:
- Adding a nipple
- Operating on the opposite breast for a better match
- Changing the shape or size of the reconstructed breast
Types of breast reconstruction
Various types of operations can be performed to reconstruct your breast. One can have a newly shaped breast using a breast implant, own tissue flap, or a combination of the two. The success and safety of the breast reconstruction process depends very much on the openness during your consultation. They will be asking you various questions regarding your health, lifestyle and desires.
Be prepared to discuss:
- Why you want the surgery, your expectations and desired outcome
- Previous surgeries
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- The options available in breast reconstruction surgery
- Use of current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drugs
- The course of treatment recommended by your plastic surgeon, including procedures to achieve breast symmetry
- The likely outcomes of breast reconstruction and any risks or potential complications
Your surgeon may also:
- Examine your breasts, and take detailed measurements of their size and shape, skin quality, and placement of nipples and areola
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of breast reconstruction and any risks or potential complications
- Take photographs for your medical record
Where will my surgery be performed?
Surgery for breast reconstruction is performed at the state of the art operation theatre suites of Sir Ganga Ram Hospital under general anesthesia. Some fellow-up procedures can be performed on an outpatient basis, on which local anesthesia may be used. All these decisions will be based on the requirements of your specific procedure and according to your preferences and your doctor’s best judgment.